Jordan Belfort is an American author, motivational speaker and former white collar criminal who spent 22 months in jail for offences related to stock market manipulation. He became notorious in the 1990s for founding the brokerage firm Stratton Oakmont which functioned as a boiler room, and also for his hard-partying lifestyle, which included a serious drug addiction. He was indicted in 1998 for securities fraud and money laundering. After cooperating with the FBI, he
served twenty-two months in federal prison. Reportedly sober for thirteen years, his life-story is currently being turned into a motion picture by Warner Brothers, with Leonardo Dicaprio set to star and Martin Scorsese set to direct. Filming is set to begin in 2010. He has toured internationally as a motivational speaker, discussing how to achieve success without sacrificing integrity and ethics.
During his short 90 minutes session, he shared on the 10 reasons why people are broke.
1. You don't make people feel safe when they order. Remind people that they are ordering through a secure server. Tell them you won't sell their e-mail address and all their information will be kept confidential.
2. You don't make your ad copy attractive. Your ad lists features instead of benefits. The headline does not attract at your target audience. You don't list any testimonials or guarantees included in your ad.
3. You don't remind people to come back and visit. People usually don't purchase the first time they visit. The more times they visit your site, the greater the chance they will buy. The most effective way is to give them a free subscription to your e-zine.
4. You don't let people know anything about your business. They will feel more comfortable if they know who they are buying from. Publish a section called "About Us" on your web site. Include your business history, profile of employees, contact information etc.
5. You don't give people as many ordering options as possible. Accept credit cards, checks, money orders, and other forms of electronic payments. Take orders by phone, e-mail, web site, fax, mail, etc.
6. You don't make your web site look professional. You want to have your own domain name. Your web site should be easy to navigate through. The graphics should be related to the theme of your web site.
7. You don't let people read your ad before they get your freebie. When you use free stuff to lure people to your web site include it below your ad copy or on another web page. If you list the freebie above your ad they may never look to see what you're selling.
8. You don't attract the target audience that would buy your product or service. A simple way to do this is to survey your existing customers to see what attracted them to buy. This information will help you improve your target marketing and advertising.
9. You don't test and improve your ad copy. There are many people who write an ad copy and never change it. You have to continually test and improve your ad copy to get the highest possible response rate.
You don't give people any urgency to buy now. Many people are interested in your product but they put off buying it till later and eventually forget about it. Entice them to buy now with a freebie or discount and include a deadline date when the offer ends.
Latest posts by Moe Nawaz (see all)
- Grow Your Business During The Recession - September 5, 2012
- Is Your Business Thriving – Surviving or Perishing? - August 30, 2012
- Six Best Reasons Why You Need a Business Coach - May 28, 2012
Filed under: Coaching
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!